The Department of World Languages and Cultures (WLC) in NC State’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) with an emphasis on preparing/ developing teachers of English as a new or additional language both in the U.S. and abroad and teaching the Academic Writing and Research Course for international undergraduate students with an additional advisory role for Teaching Assistants. The faculty member will work in the TESOL programs, both undergraduate (preservice and practicing teachers of ESL) and graduate (MA in TESOL). Potential courses the faculty member will teach include: Academic Writing and Research for International Students and Methods classes including Teaching Academic Writing to Multilingual Learners, Methods and Materials in Teaching English as a Second Language, among other courses. The faculty member should be proficient in using the Google suite.
Potential opportunities for the faculty member also include: creating new courses for the MA in TESOL program, supervising TESOL students in field experiences, mentoring and supervising MA students with their culminating projects, and serving as a member on committees. The faculty member will establish and maintain partnerships with local school districts and community based organizations by engaging in outreach activities such as facilitating professional development for teachers.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teach in-person and online undergraduate courses in the TESOL section, both methods courses for pre-service and practicing teachers and English language classes for international students
- Teach in-person and online graduate courses for MA in TESOL students
- Advise undergraduate and master’s students
- Supervise students in their field experiences in local schools and community-based organizations
- Provide service and leadership to the program area, department,college, and university
- Contribute to program design, development, and evaluation at the undergraduate and master’s levels
- Participate in outreach and engagement activities, specifically for K-12 classrooms and community based organizations locally and across North Carolina
- Recruit practicing teachers for ESL add-on program
- Engage in scholarship focused on the teaching and learning of TESOL and other small research projects aligned with the aims of the position
- Collaborate with faculty within the department, college, and across the university
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Requires doctoral degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Teaching experience at the University level
- Demonstrated evidence of teaching excellence
- Doctoral degree in TESOL, Linguistics, Bilingual/ ESL Education, or a related field, and at least three years of teaching experience in an academically oriented university, developing curricula and teaching materials preferred.
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
- Experience with K-12 ESL or bilingual public school education as well as university-level ESL programs.
- Strong cultural knowledge, both experiential and academic, and familiarity with research and academic literature on writing instruction and language acquisition.
- Expertise in current teaching methodologies and curricula.
- Overseas teaching experience a bonus.
|Position Type||Non-Tenure-Track Faculty|
|Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)||1.00|
|Appointment||9 Month Recurring|
For all the details please consult: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/192159
Please attach your Curriculum Vitae , cover letter, and the contact information for at least three professional references.