Statement in response to TRC Calls to Action
The Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics recognizes the responsibility of our association to respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action. We do so by acknowledging the words of the Honorable Justice Murray Sinclair, Truth and Reconciliation Commissioner, who tells us, “Whatever it is that you do, make sure you never stop doing it. This is life’s work.”
Accordingly, we commit our efforts to work towards reconciliation by supporting:
• The development of Indigenous language teachers
• Indigenous language degree and diploma programs at college and university level
• The work of researchers, educators, and students in the maintenance, revitalization, and strengthening of Indigenous languages
• The development of language curricula with Aboriginal content and perspectives
• The integration of education for reconciliation into teacher education programs (building intercultural understanding, empathy, and respect; supporting language teaching that takes into account residential schools and Aboriginal history).